Learn About Invasive Species
Why are Invasive Species a Big Deal?
Invasive Species take over our Environment
Invasive species are among Canada’s greatest threats to the survival of our wild animal and plant life. These invasive species arrive, often accidentally, from elsewhere in the world and, in the absence of natural predators, kill, crowd out or otherwise devastate native species and their ecosystems.
These invasive plants and animals not only threaten to transform the wildlife, woodlands and waterways that Canadians depend on, they cost this country billions of dollars in losses to forestry, agriculture, fisheries and other industries affected by their impact. We encourage you to view the list of invasive species that are present in Canada and learn about their impacts.
Invasive Species Can:
- Cause irreversible damage to the environment and leave lasting scars on the landscape
- Reduce biodiversity by out-competing desirable native species
- Require significant outlays of money to clean up the aftermath of invasive species or to prevent further damage
- Negatively impact trade and the economy, and those industries that rely on natural resources for their livelihoods
- Affect municipalities, communities and individuals
- Reduce recreational spaces and compromise outdoor opportunities and experiences
- Directly affect human health and societal well being